I Need a Mammogram
Uninsured: click here
Insured: click here
You are insured if you have:
• Private insurance through your employer
• Insurance you buy yourself,
• Medicaid, Family Care, HFS Medical Card,
• Veterans insurance
Questions to Ask to Ensure the Highest Quality Mammography
1. Will the mammogram be read by a mammography specialist - also known as a breast imaging specialist?
2. If the mammogram is interpreted by a general radiologist rather than a mammography or breast imaging specialist, will it be read a 2nd time by another radiologist as well?
(It helps to have two radiologists independently interpret films if the initial read is by a general radiologist)
3. How many mammograms do the radiologists read annually?
(The FDA recommends doctors read at least 480 a year)
4. For women younger than 50, is the mammography machine digital?
5. How long will it take to receive my mammography results?
6. If the results of the mammogram are suspicious, what are my next steps?
7. How do I get ready for my mammogram?